'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

02 July 2012

On Training And Role Models

My feelings on training are no secret. I believe in hard, realistic and ongoing training. Train to win no matter the circumstances. In that vein it's important to choose your training role models carefully.

I am no fan of the current crop of "Tactical Ninja" type trainers. Putting people down range and shooting past them. Drills involving clubbing folks with perfectly functioning firearms. Courses of fire that bear no resemblance to anything real world. You've seen them all and they bear no comment other than "I'll pass, thanks."

Read this and think about who the author of the post is, what she's survived and what her training mindset is.  Then ask yourself who better to get your information and motivation from? The Mall Ninja or a Mom who's determined, motivated and realistic?

I know who I want on my team.

Six


3 comments:

God, Gals, Guns, Grub said...

Practical beats tacti-cool in my book...

Dann in Ohio

Home on the Range said...

Yes! I like the fact that she is totally open to talk about her fears and her mistakes, something the testosterone laden mall ninja instructors never would do.

On a side note, for whatever reason, all your recent comments showed up in my SPAM folder which I hardly ever check. I marked you as "not SPAM" but didn't want you to think I'd ignored your comments, some going back quite a ways.

You weren't the only one, about 4 regular readers all ended up there.

Cheers.

Six said...

Me too Dann.

You're absolutely right Brigid. I've only been reading her for a bit but she's grounded, realistic and unafraid to talk about tough subjects. Plus she's mentally and physically tough.

Ed told me the same thing. I believe it's from my AOL account. I think I'll sign up for a free e-mail address somewhere and dump AOL once and for all.