'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

01 March 2011

A Wet Ride

Lu and I decided it was time to get back on the horse. If you've been reading my scribblings for a while you're aware of the disaster of my last attempt at an organized ride. If not then never mind. Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

My leg is healed and Bike2Bike held a ride to benefit Spina Bifida on Saturday. We checked it out and decided that the Quarter Century was just the thing to test our fitness and stick a toe back into the competitive waters.

The day dawned wet and cold. It was not a heartwarming sight but we were determined not only to ride but not to whine unceasingly. Lu made it, I complained all day.
In the staging area parking lot, the bicycles ready for the day.
All numbered up and ready to go. That jacket and pants I'm wearing are the very ones I used in my Police bicycling days. I wasn't any better looking then.
And we're off! The inane grins on our faces disappeared about the time our feet froze but for now all is golden.

We had our own cheering squad. The DO and the grandkids trailed us every step of the way, cheering madly. They were great and made the whole day a lot easier.
That's Jaina giving us her best Princess wave. Ta Ta now. Do call us when you arrive.
About 10 miles in. It was about this time that the rain finished soaking into our shoes and the feet became increasingly ice cube like.
Brendan, The DO and Jaina. A finer cheering group never existed. Aren't they cute?
The rain convinced a lot of the riders to stay in bed and watch Saturday morning cartoons. It got pretty lonely at times. We never saw another rider all day once we got away from the start line. This is about 20 miles in.
And a high five from the cutie pie at the side of the road.
This is at the base of the toughest climb on the course. Lu and I shed our rain gear to save weight and keep cooler. If you look closely you can see that I'm wearing a Fat Cyclist jersey. Clydesdale Horsepower.
Man that climb sucks and it was just beginning.
Deep in the pain cave and thinking about hitching a ride on the cheering section minivan. Oh, the ignominy. Keep pedaling sweetheart!
At the top the fans were cheering us on. Go Papa! Go Grandma!
Yeah us! At the top of the climb from Hell. V is for victory. It's an easy 8 miles to the finish from here.
Coming in to the finish line and the end of our adventure. 28.5 miles and, with the DO and the kids there to watch and cheer, we never enjoyed a ride more.
Just steer me to the shower and the food.
At the end of the day Jaina and Brendan had a surprise for us. Hand made ribbons and congratulations. Recognition from the only people who's opinion counts. I don't know who was more excited, us or the kids.
Lu and I love having an outlet for our competitive sides. I think it's also important to show the kids that such things are fun and a necessary part of our lives. Never give up and never be afraid to try. Lu and I were so happy they were here to share this with us and I think it'll be with them for a long time.

5 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

Good job. Remember than pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Six said...

Thanks ML. If that's true then I lost a buttload of weakness!

Fred said...

Awesome.

Six said...

Thanks Fred. Most of that country in the background has MTB trails. Just sayin'.

JihadGene said...

Proud of you all LOOONG time!!! Ride safe. Ride dry (next time). ;)