'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

25 March 2011

B2 At Nellis

My mother lives in Pahrump, Nevada, which is just an hour westish of Las Vegas. We're making a lot of runs down there to look after her and get things settled. We do go right past Nellis AFB coming and going. We see a lot of fighters, F16s and F15s primarily. On one of our trips I spotted a bat shaped aircraft heading right up N/B I15, right toward us.

Is That? Could it be?
It is! A B2 bomber.
It flew right over us, still pretty low. I have no idea where it was heading but a practice bomb run is a distinct possibility as I know there are ranges in the area. Ed might have a better idea where it was going. These shots were taken just a few miles north of Nellis.
I'd never seen one in person before. The DO and the kids were in the truck with us and I just pulled over, grabbed the camera and took these shots before it disappeared. It was awesome. It was eerily quiet, nothing like the fighters which you can often hear long before you can see them, especially when they're flying low, as they often do in the neighborhood of Nellis.

Have I said how much this old ground pounder loves the Air Force? I have nothing but respect, admiration and awe for those who can pilot such craft.
Six

1 comment:

JihadGene said...

Have I said how much this old ground pounder loves the Air Force? I have nothing but respect, admiration and awe for those who can pilot such craft.

Amen to that LOOONG time!!!