'The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him.' -G. K. Chesterton

14 June 2010

Public Service

Ed over at Thunder Tales has another great post about the reaction of a sitting congressman to a college kid asking an awkward question.

When I watched his severe overreaction my thought was that this is exactly the arrogance in the political class that is so alarming. When you add in the move by states to declare that taping police officers doing the job in public it begs the question.

What's next? Outlawing any taping of any public official any time they don't give their approval?

I spent almost 9 years in the military and 24 as a police officer. For the record I do not now and never have had any problems with being taped while on duty. I have in fact been taped many times over the years. I conducted myself at all times as if I were being recorded and taught rookie officers to do the same. No one in the public sector, whether they be cops, politicians or maintenance workers has any expectation of privacy. In fact, the very idea that they may operate in secrecy flies in the face of logic and democracy. We expect and are entitled to ethical behavior by our public workers.

If a veritable sea of camera armed citizens is the price of ensuring that behavior it is a small price to be paid by our very well compensated public servants. Catch that phrase?
Public Servants.

Congressman Etheridge. I strongly recommend you take a class on ethics and remember what you are and what you are not. You are not an overlord. You are not a master.
You are a Public Servant. If you cannot remember that I'm certain the fine citizens of North Carolina can remind you.

And for those who have or are contemplating laws against taping cops on the job. Such laws are anathema to Americans and certainly unconstitutional. Shame on you. The honest cops on the beat have no problems being taped while they go about their jobs and the ones who do merit such scrutiny.

If this law becomes widespread you can count on general disobedience, including from this former public servant. I may be retired but I still remember who and what I am and I say such laws cannot stand in The Republic.

Six

2 comments:

JihadGene said...

"I conducted myself at all times as if I were being recorded and taught rookie officers to do the same."

That's the way to do it as well as train!

Six said...

Only way to do it Gene. Though I have to always ask myself, what does the Great Reader want me to do and what can I do to make him happy? Will he still Ruv me rooong time?